Saturday, September 15, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: It's FALL!!!

Week of 09/08-09/14
Week 6

Well, I guess I got what I wished for - the weather this week was AMAZING!  I love the fall weather and spending my days with this crazy kid...  Don't worry, we didn't go out in public in this outfit :)
 Bible
  • We started Community Bible Study (CBS) this week where we will both be studying the book of Genesis.  Greyson was nervous to go but, when I picked him up he said "I had a great time at CBS".  I'm so happy.  They have a great children's program and I'm excited to see him grow and learn there.  I'm excited to grow and learn in my studying as well! 
  • Memory Verse:  "Do not be afraid...your prayer has been heard. " Luke 1:13
Sonlight Core P4/5 Highlights
For Social Studies this week we read about The Baker in Things People Do.   Great excuse to go get a yummy muffin at Panera Bread :) 


It took 3 tries to get through our story, The Clever Mouse, in our World Cultures book,  Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book.  He was just too distracted the first 2 times but, when we finally got through it, he enjoyed the story.  

Sonlight Reading for the Week:


Science
This week was all about Nature, Senses of Nature, and Facts about Animals in The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of ScienceWhat a perfect week to get out and enjoy nature!!!  
  • Enjoyed a picnic by the pond and a nature hunt for sticks and leaves (we were supposed to gather them for a project but, he just wanted to throw them in the pond...  I couldn't argue with that!). 
  • Created spider web art - I taped down a black piece of paper, we dropped marbles in white paint, and shook the box until we got a web. 
  • Talked about how we use our senses and how animals use their senses - I'm sure glad that he didn't want to use his "taste" sense out on our walks :)
  • and we did a worksheet on things that were alive vs not alive from Handle on the Arts



We read some supplemental books about spiders and animal senses.   We read all 3 of these multiple times.  He liked them all!!



Language Arts
We worked on Week 5 (Letter "R") of SonlightLanguage Arts K and the "R" pages from the supplemental book for Phonics - Get Ready for the Code. 

  • Practiced writing the letter "R"
  • Played a memory game with the upper and lowercase letters that we have learned so far (F, B, M, T, R).  After turning over the card, he would make the sound of the letter and match the letters.  Printables are from here
Math

·     We start our "table time" with his learning notebook.  One of the pages is a "100 days of school" sheet.  It's fun to see how many days we have been doing "school" and we've made a game out of it.  This was mostly because Greyson was getting stuck while counting.  He would count to 19, and then skip to 21.  Now, we count each day and he's finally getting it.  I also use 2 M&Ms and I call out a number for him to find and place the M&M on that number.  I'm trying to make sure he can recognize the number and isn't just counting by memory.     

My favorite quote for the week was after a lesson that we did in Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten.  I told him that he did a great job and he responded with "Yeah, that was too easy for me".   Ha ha!   I can't call an almost 4yr old boastful, he's just telling me like it is.  I'm sure they will get harder, little man! !! 

Top 100 Children's Books
We are still enjoying books from this post sprinkled in throughout the week.  


Here are the ones that we read this week.  
  • Greyson loved Don't let the pigeon drive the bus  and we read that one multiple times. 
  • Warning!!!!  Don't read Love you forever while pregnant.   I could NOT get through this book without sobbing.  Poor Greyson couldn't figure out why I was getting so upset.   I tried to tell him they were happy tears.  Whew - it's a good book for sure!



Life...

  • We had a meet and greet with our friends from co-op (that starts next week).  Greyson took a horrible fall at the playground but, bounced right back. 
  • Enjoyed another birthday party with friends - this time at the pool
  • Playdate with preschool friends at the playground another day was a great time as well.  What boy doesn't like a spider web and climbing wall!  

No comments:

Post a Comment