Week of 08/06/12 - 08/10/12
We Did it!! We survived our 1st official week of "School" at home. Of course, this is only Greyson's Pre-K year so "School Time" is a very small chunk of time but, we were successful in trying to start a consistent routine. This week was a HUGE learning experience for me (I admit, I had tears on Monday out of frustration). Greyson was in a formal preschool program last year so I am in the process of trying to understand HOW he learns, WHAT he already knows, and what my expectations/goals should be.
Work.....In.....Progress for sure!
How to make the first day special??? Donuts (and coffee for me), of course :)
- We start each day with a story out of the Family-Time Bible in Pictures*
- Memory Verse: We are learning the verse for Sunday School each week. Verse this week - "A wise person stays calm" Proverbs 12:16
- Continue to read out of the Treasury of Mother Goose Rhymes* and Eric Carle's Animals Animals* at breakfast and/or lunch
- Continue to read out of Uncle Wiggily's Story Book* at bedtime. This book has no pictures and I totally expected him to not be interested in just listening. But, he actually enjoys these silly stories (for now) :)
- We read about "The Hotel Manager" in Things People Do*
- Worked on pages out of the Developing the Early Learner: Level 1*. He is not a big fan of worksheets but, can handle a couple of these a day (most days). When he wanted to stop, we stopped.
|Listening and following directions|
|REALLY excited that he stayed between the lines|
- Learned about the SUN this week out of the Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature*
- Learned that plants and seeds need the SUN & water for it to grow. I picked radishes for us to grow b/c the package said that it took the least amount of days to grow. We did Science on Monday & Greyson checked on his plant every day. By Friday, we saw GREEN and he was so excited!
- Made a SUN Craft (he was only interested in painting & had no interest in gluing it together)
- Talked about the heat from the SUN and watched an ice cube melt - he was impressed :)
- Talked about Shadows and got to watch our shadows change positions.
- Read other books about the SUN and shadows throughout the week. Greyson's favorite was Guess Whose Shadow!!
Our Journey through God's World
- Started an introduction to Geography this week.
- Created a "Me on the Map" craft to show our house, our street, our city, our state, our county, our continent, and our planet. We will continue to review for him to fully understand.
- Sang (over and over) the Continent Song & practiced pointing the continents out on his new World Map Puzzle.
Greyson's Library Book choices for the week
And we did a LOT of this.... He loves the pool and is so proud of his latest swimming abilities! Fearless! We made it there most afternoons this week for a lot of jumping, diving, and swimming!